Review 042: 1/100 Wing of Light Option Set for SF ver MB (Daban Model)



Introduction:

It was a nice achievement that I finally got the Strike Freedom ver MB. After almost a year of waiting, one of my favorite mobile suits will be displayed on my shelf. I already have the FBM but this one is better for it has the nice touch of the “Metal Build” design. I care less if the brand is Daban Model or Dragon Momoko as long as I have the kit. The reseller I knew said he still has some stocks so I ordered the Strike Freedom ver MB. I was glad that the Wings of Light add-on is a package deal so it comes with the main kit automatically.

Anyways, this review will just cover the add-on and not the main unit. You can check the review for my Strike Freedom ver MB by clicking HERE. I will also update that article and add this link there. As for the typos, just ignore them until I get to update them from time to time. But do correct me if I have used wrong terminologies.



Unboxing:


The box is huge but it’s not the huge thick but more of a huge wide. The box is flat and you get to see that nice box art of Strike Freedom with the add-ons attached.


The rear side of the box features the model with the Full Burst Mode where the DRAGOONS are attached on the clear rods.


They still included the word “fighter” but the box is indeed far more appealing than Dragon Momoko’s box. Theirs was just a brown box with no other design or whatsoever.



I was surprised after pulling this plastic case out. I thought that they will be in sprue frames and I have to build them manually same like DM. Daban Model already built them and used some kind of thin hard plastic cover so that it won’t get any scratches.



And here’s the manual or guide for the add-ons. This 4-page manual will show you how to build those clear rods and how to attach the burst effects (WoL)


Here is the list of the parts included in the box. Be sure to count them before completing your transactions to any sellers.



Large Burst Effect Parts:


This is the larger one which is placed on the rear parts of the wing (the one with the larger shoulder-like thrusters). The effect parts don’t have any big issues even though it’s already built.


You may still have to clean some of the sides though. I noticed that there are still nubs on the edges and I had to trim them.



Small Burst Effect Parts:


The smaller effect parts don’t have any issues as well aside from the several nubs. I guess it’s only common if the factory is producing these items quickly. I’m sure they are built manually by hand so the workers might have overlooked them (quota restricted).


So here are the wing effects and they are really large. I really need the A2 cutting mat if I will continue building perfect grades and other stuff like this.



Clear Rods/ Connectors:


So here are the connectors where the DRAGOONS are attached. As I recall on Dragon Momoko’s side, they already give this firsthand on the main unit and that was a good decision. Here in Daban Model, you are definitely forced to buy the Wing of Light Option just to get these connectors and the effect parts as well.

The issue I have experienced is that the connectors for the small beam cannons are slightly loose. The male pegs may be a little smooth or could be thin by a few millimeters so you might want to put some blutac or anything that will hold them properly.



Completed Model:







I will not add the chart for this item..


Plastic Quality: 8/10

You won’t need to build the whole wing effect parts but the quality is similar to Dragon Momoko’s. I also noticed the seam lines so both brands are using the same mold.


Assembly: 6/10

My apologies if the rating is low but there are no major problems here. I just had to give a 6 here because it was really a hassle placing the wing effects on that clear rack. The WoL is really massive and the weight is making it more troublesome.


Detailing: 9/10

I am very impressed with the detailing done by Daban Model. It was far better than Dragon Momoko’s own WoL. The effect parts are painted in a nice blue color with silver and slightly red shades on each end. Dragon Momoko was good but it was really plain and I am not much of a fan of the glittery look they did.


Extras: 5/10

You have extra connectors to use in case you want to rearrange the beam cannons. No other extra items were included. It should have been nice if Daban Model actually added the same beam effects for the tip of the DRAGOONS.


Patience: 4/10

Yes I am also including the patience meter for this item (LOL). You won’t need to build anything and cleaning the nubs on the clear parts are practically easy, but it was a bit time-consuming just to put them all together. There were some occasions on my side where the rear wing was already sliding out of the peg because I was trying to place the wing effects (large) on that rack.


Overall Rating: 9/10

This is the best WoL indeed if I were to compare Daban against DM. Unfortunately; there are no sellers that will give this as a solo purchase. It could have been nice if you get to buy the Dragon Momoko SF and then use the Daban Model Wing of Light Option Set. This item is just good for us straight-builders because there is no need to paint any of them. But if you prefer to go for your own color scheme, then the DM WoL is the best option. Why? If you will paint the Daban Model version, then how will you find a way to avoid painting the thin clear plastic which is sandwiched in the middle?

I haven’t asked my colleagues if there are still stocks for both DM SF and DM WoL, but do check out the one that suits your building preferences. Again, if there are typos I might have overlooked, just ignore them. That is all I can say for this item and I might post the Hi Nu ver Ka next if everything goes well.

Another thing, I want to remind my readers that I have already lost my job and I currently looking for a new one that will support my needs and this hobby. If I won’t be able to find one, then that means my reviewing days are already over. I don’t want that to happen and exploiting lots of issues of certain kits from the Bootleg side is kind of been my favorite thing. I am just clinging on the opportunities my friend (also my client) has to offer if there are new kits he wants me to build. So if you guys noticed that the blog seems to be quiet for some times, that is the part that I don’t have anything to build. I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for the support. Taking a look at my reviews and asking this or that makes me happy and I want to continue this blog as much as possible.





5 comments:

  1. Hope you'll get a new job very soon. Apply apply lang. Good luck sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Very late question: will this fit the Bandai MG Strike Freedom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No if it's the normal master grade. this will not fit even on the FBM version. It was designed for the Metal Build. If you have the Metal Build, that might work.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply, bro. Hope you were able to get a job since posting this review.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the concern. I already have one and I hope to continue reviewing once all my debts are cleared.

      Delete