Review 08: MG 1/100 Tallgeese II (Daban Model)


First things first, I would like to thank my client for letting me build this kit even though I mentioned several times that my building skills aren't satisfactory. Well, he insisted and I'm happy for that because I can finally add more reviews for our page and to this blog.



Second, Please do ignore if you noticed those ugly nub marks. I would like to apologize for the bad quality of the images too

So back to the subject, many called this kit "P-Daban" and it was funny. Looking at the box makes you really think it's a limited edition kit from Daban Model (which is not). Well they just copied 90% of Bandai's box/packaging elements so it's common and not much of a surprise.
I already checked few reviews about this kit and some of them mentioned the bad quality of the PC parts. I'm supposed to get Tallgeese I to III, but that plan was ruined when Sinanju Stein appeared along with the other new released kits.

I would like to apologize that there will be visible nub marks on the featured kit. If there are any errors (spelling, grammar), please do mention them on the comments section. If there are also any errors on the terminologies used, please do correct me.
Please be advised that some of the pieces on each “parts exploded view” might be missing. I sometimes forget that they are still on the runners. But usually, I don’t notice them quickly in the construction manual. 


Unboxing:

Bluish box copied from Bandai

Boxart is pretty much same as that of P-Bandai :v
No wonder their calling this P-Daban.. it's quite lame.


Kit will let you use a TG 1 construction manual
I dumped the runners on the table and started checking the parts. Some of them were sardine-packed in a single plastic bag. Like I've said in my previous reviews, this leads to stress marks, scratches and even possible broken pegs.
Fortunately, there were none of that. But you should still check them while they are still on the plastic bags.


Runners:

The next images will be the runners and other stuff inside. Most of the parts are actually from TG 1 and they only replaced some parts (Head) to make it look like TG 2. Even the construction manual is TG1. But the good thing about this kit is that they've included a 2-page manual for some of those parts that you need to convert it to TG 2. The kit also includes freebies which I will mention later.
This kit consists of 23 runners because of those freebies. ;)



So these are the contents of the kit. Instead of dry transfers, you get waterslide decals. A +1 for Daban on this move, even though it was actually Bandai's idea. >_<
Noticed those last images? These runners are the freebies.


"Spear"

So here's one of them.
It's called Spear in the manual but I would like to call this a Lance since it looked really similar to the weapon in Monster Hunter. :P

"Axe"
And here's the other free weapon. It does look like an axe but the handle is too long. :v
I think it's better if this is the spear. Kind of look like a glaive xD
I was corrected by a girl that it was called a “halberd” which is true. So I will refer and use this word to the weapon.


Body Unit:


Good parts separation but not that overwhelming. Very easy to build if you look at it for the first time. But since this is a bootleg kit, the issues are common. There were lots of tight parts and you will need to sand/trim the inner frame to make sure they fit together nicely.
Sorry about that seam line and it took me a some time figuring what was the cause of this.


But I did fixed this issue after completing the whole model.


Head Unit:


Simple and no warped parts.
"Say no to foil stickers". Yeah, I didn't used the crappy foil sticker included in the kit.


Well even if the kit is Bandai, I will not use the foil stickers. I just don't like it when those stickers peel off from time.

No foil stickers!

I used metallic green for the "visor".
There were several tight parts here in the head.


Arm Unit:


Some tight parts but not as bad as the Body Unit. I'm already expecting same issues for the legs.
Articulation is nice and the arm can bend this far out (as seen on image below). I'm not sure how it goes when it's put to the body for there will be some hindrance from the back pack unit.



Leg Unit:


Parts separation is good but not too many compared to other kits. The leg can bend like this (image below). Snap fitting issue? Yes, just like my hunch earlier, there were lots of tight pieces here and there.
I would like to mention that those were not seamlines. It's actually the design of the MS. >_>



Waist Unit:


No issues here though.
As you can see, TG 2 doesn't have any large front skirts same with TG 1 and TG 3, so the legs can still have an extra range of articulation during posing.


The back skirt has a nice gimmick where you can pull it up and reveal those thrusters. 



Side Skirts:



There were no snap fitting issues here and that's good news after all the painful moments I've encountered from the Arm Unit.


I added some minor detailing here using Uniball Signo Metallic Green and Uniball Signo Angelic Blue.


And here's the half-completed model.


I doubt TG 2 can stand like this when the backpack unit is attached.
The waist is using a ball-joint mechanism so it can tilt a bit.


Time for my usual coffee break with my favorite mug.

#GBPastig


Backpack Unit:


I had some troubles with the back pack and I broke a peg that's supposed to make the gimmick work. Now I can't fully lift it up because of the issue. :/
There were lots of tight parts as well and you will notice that I ended up getting some stress marks.


The one with the broken peg is the left unit. Good thing is that it can still open those flaps.
The error or issues actually happened because the manual is wrong. :v
I relied too much on the manual so I got errors. Be sure to check the pieces aside from the manual to avoid getting the same problem.

Fortunately, my client seems okay with the outcome so I continued building the kit. Still, it was careless of me not look at this thoroughly.


I need to use an action base because TG 2 can't stand very well. Not because the kit is flimsy or the PC parts are loose, but it's because of the backpack. The heavy load on its back is pulling him if you don't use any action base.


Weapons:

Dober Gun:


You will need to use the spring here during assembly.


Gladly to say, no snap fitting issues appeared here.


Shield:


No issues here either and it's pretty much straightforward.




Spear/Lance:


Lots of tight parts and I was worried I might break the handle. Very, very tight parts to be exact. :(




Axe/Halberd:


There are no snap fitting issues for this weapon so that's a good thing I guess.



You get 2 of each weapon and you can use the rest for TG 1.


I'm not sure if these weapons can be used for Gundam Barbatos. But at least you'll get some ideas for kitbashing/modding.



 Okay, so I'm done and the last part will be applying those seals. :)

Decals:


The quality of the waterslide decal is really nice. But you might still need to let it dry a little longer to make sure none of the seals are moved.


Completed Model:


The TG 2 can use the shield but you will need to change his hands. This kit doesn't have any articulated manipulators.


The Axe/Spear is quite heavy and I got some trouble holding it upright. I needed the support of the left arm.
The Lance sucks! It doesn't have any pegs so holding the weapon is a problem. It kind of looked like TG 2 is holding a metallic umbrella. >_< lol

Anyways, here are my personal ratings for Tallgeese II of Daban Model.

Plastic Quality: 7/10
At least the plastic quality is fine and gives you that common glossy finish like the rest of the kits from Daban Model. I can't find the correct word to describe the plastic. All I can say is that it's not the same as TTH. Trimming the nubs weren't a problem because the blade slides through which is nice. Although, I will admit there were still visible nubs on my work. :/

Snap Fitting: 5/10
It was a real pain and I had to sand/trim some pegs just to fit them nicely. Even if you already sanded the male pegs, you will still feel that the parts are way too tight. The building process starts from excitement to stressful because of this issue.

Articulation: 6.5/10
Because of the MS's design, the range of articulation isn't that spectacular or amazing. Of course, it was design for flight or aerial combat, so I think it's just right. I may be a little strict on the rating because TG 2's articulation is already good as it is. Maybe I'm just expecting too much. Then again, I will stick to 6.5.

Gimmicks: 6.5/10
Well, the gimmicks were entirely focused on TG 2's signature part - the Backpack unit. It was really nice. Plus, the back skirt's mechanism to allow the thrusters to be seen show how fast this MS in its series. I think Wing Zero is faster though. XD

Extras: 8/10
 This is the only section were TG 2 gets that high rating. It's because you get a lot of extra weapons. Bad thing is that you can't hold that lance I showed earlier. Anyways, you get duplicate weapons and it makes up for the flaws you will possibly encounter when you get this kit. I'll include the waterslide in this section too. I really love the waterslide decals. And this was the first kit where I tried improvising some ways or methods that I can use on my future kits.

Overall Rating: 7/10
I think 7 is just fine considering that each that the consumer is an experienced builder. The story changes if the person who will build this kit is a beginner, or the kit was mentioned as "solid" without any further tips. I know it's a bootleg so there's no need to shout it at the computer screen why I gave this kit a decent rating. Like I said, if you are experienced with curing or fixing the flaws, then these issues aren't much of a problem at all. It will be considered as a challenge or a stepping stone for widening/enhancing your building skills.

If your pockets are not that deep, knowing the fact that the other is a P-Bandai exclusive, then this is a good shortcut. I said good, but not best. So it's more like a "buy at your own risk" situation here in Daban's Tallgeese II.

I would like to thank my client (I will not mention his name) for letting me build this kit.

Please do mention the errors and I will be happy to change them. If you also encountered any issues for this kit, please do comment them so it could help other builders who have purchased this kit.




No comments:

Post a Comment