Waterslide Decal Tutorial Photos (No Videos Included)

Well I've seen a lot of builders asking how to apply waterslide decals. My friend has a video tutorial in our Facebook page (Click Here).

I also have a tutorial but it was in the middle of building Destiny Gundam [MB ver]. I thought of separating that tutorial so here it is. I'm supposed to use a video but I don't have any assistants to hold the camera for me. If you want to check the Destiny Gundam where this tut took place, you can click here.



So here are my usual routine or steps I always do when using waterslide decals.


Cut the seal you want first. I have no idea either but I am using the word/term "seal" referring for each piece on the sheet.


There are several ways how you want to soak the seals in water. I'm not sure if there other methods aside from the ones I will show here.

The first one is using tweezers or any tool that can hold the paper firmly.


Keep the seal soaked in water for 10-20 seconds.

Please take note of this. The time may vary depending on the quality of the paper and ink used on the sheet. Some WS decals needs to be soaked longer. Destiny's waterslide decals will only use 10 sec or less to remove the seals from the backing paper.

The other way is by using the hobby knife or any pointy object you have. Stab or pierce the paper before then dip the seal in water. I use both methods but it still depends on the size of the seal. If the seal is long or heavy, I will use the tweezers.


After 10-20 secs as explained earlier, remove the seal from the water.


Next is place it near the part you want. It's okay if it's badly positioned as long as the seal is safely transferred to the part. You can start using tissue paper to remove the excess water. It's difficult to arrange the seal's position if there are too much water on it.


Use another pointy object to slowly slide the seal (as seen from the image). You can use cotton buds if you like. I just prefer pointy objects so I can still see it being slid off. No "blindspots" to be exact.

Speaking of cotton buds, most people will say cotton buds is good if you want to remove the excess water. Maybe they are good with it but it just doesn't take out the liquid quickly. :v



But I prefer and I suggest - tissue paper :D
It absorbs the excess water faster than cotton buds. Just fold the paper in a triangular shape and use the pointy part to wipe the excess liquid.


I often use this method where I press the seal with the tissue paper.
Of course there's a tendency to make failures with this decision, so better do this slowly. The good part about this is you can complete remove the water. :)



I hope this short and simple tutorial will help you guys out there when it comes to waterslide decals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment