Review 03: MG 1/100 Akatsuki Gundam (Dragon Momoko)




After their heavily-detailed Strike Gundam (with the separate Launcher/Sword packs), Dragon Momoko released one of the coolest, in my own opinion, kit from the CE timeline – the Akatsuki Gundam.



GOOD NEWS!
Both Shiranui and Oowashi pack are included in the kit. Before it was released, many were worried because they kept seeing boxes where the image has only one pack used.
The other issue is when many raised their eyebrows when Dragon Momoko showed few pictures that it will be gold plated; what tone of gold will they use, are the parts “undergated”, and so on. I can’t answer the tone of gold used for I am not that familiar with colors. :v

But, I can share other notable information regarding this kit. I’m not much of a fan of Akatsuki, and I didn’t bought it because it looks great in the pictures through the net. I’m more of a semi "line-completer" or something like that.

So I will begin my short review, and positive feed are very welcome in this bloody page. Any negative feedbacks will be welcomed as well. Let your rage boil you up if I'm purchasing knock-offs. LOL :D

Reminder that I am NOT a professional builder. I don’t even put that thought in my head each time I finish a project. Feel free to send some tips if you know any.
I would like to apologize that there will be visible nub marks on the featured kit. If there are any errors (spelling, grammar), please do mention them on the comments section. If there are also any errors on the terminologies used, please do correct me.


Unboxing:

Oowashi on the other side
Shiranui on the other side
Checking the runners if complete
Starting with the box; so fancy! >_<
Both front and back shows the image of Gundam Akatsuki in Shiranui and Oowashi packs. Yes, the images other people see were only 1 face of the box .This resulted into confusion if Dragon Momoko will sell it with 1 backpack per kit.
This reminded me that Model Comprehend also has the same type of box.
A friend told me Dragon Momoko is NOT from China, but actually from Taiwan. Does this mean it's not a bootleg but a 3rd party model kit like Elyn's Kshatriya?
Eh? Is there a difference? O_O

Moving on, there are 31 runners inside the box including the separated Runners B , J and PJ3.
Ever wondered how many parts you will use in here? 461 in total by my count (I hope I didn't missed a piece)
Also, the kit includes foil stickers and a sheet of waterslide decal.

32-page glossy Instruction Manual
The manual has 32 pages and it is printed nicely by Dragon Momoko.
The front page shows the full finished Akatsuki with Shiranui. And the back shows him in Oowashi pack. The first 2 pages and the last 2 pages shows the features of both Shiranui and Oowashi. (Sorry I don't have any images to poison your minds :D )

One of the largest runners I've seen inside the kit is Runner J. It consumes at least 3/4 of the box.. I think :v

Runners:

Largest runner inside is Runner J
Okay, regarding the information if the parts are undergated. YES and NO. Why?
Yes, because majority of the parts are undergated. And that's good news for those snapbuilders or straight builders such as myself. Avoiding/cleaning nub marks is a mandatory skill when it comes to gunpla, and it is even more challenging if the kit is already gold plated like Phenex or any kit with Titanium finish. I still can't hide the nub marks even if it's not gold-finished though - honest statement. :v

And No, because some parts are not undergated. BOOHOO! Even those gold-plated parts are not exempted. :(
What's worst is that these parts will be visible once you finished building the kit.


Body Unit:

I forgot to add that small part for the neck joint so I
had to take another picture

Picture 1 - minor detailing on
the back
Picture 2 - Looks good 
Picture 3 - damaged during
trimming of nubs

No issues here in the body. The detailing is great and all credits goes to Dragon Momoko this time. After all, Bandai didn't release a MG kit of this one and Dragon Momoko is known for intricate and heavy detail for their recent models.

I used Uni-ball Signo Metallic Red to add some minor detailing. I will be using this pen in the majority of the kit.
Snap fitting is nice. It feels like I am building Xi Gundam all over again. I didn't trimmed the male/female pegs to make them fit perfectly.

And just when I thought everything is running smoothly, here I encountered an issue.. >__>
I forgot to trim the nubs on the 2 parts on the chest, those with the different tone of gold (check Picture 3). I ended up scratching them.
I can't pull them off because they're very tight due to the paint's "sandy"or rough texture.

Just be sure to double check the parts for nubs before putting them together. It will be a real pain to disassemble them again.
This reminder is counted for PC parts or any other small parts. You don't want to put them together and saw that there's 1 small part missing inside :v


Head Unit:
Take caution with the V-fin


Now for the head, it doesn't use a PC part and I hope it will have a good articulation.
Snap fitting is nice and the only issue is that the foil stickers are a bit bad. The cut is good, but the glossiness isn't satisfactory. But later on, I started using pens on the eye sensors instead of applying foil stickers.

I used Uni-ball Signo for the V-Fin and panel lined some on the face mask.
Sorry I don't have a decent camera when I took these photos :v

Additional info that might help you is that the lighter fluid doesn't affect the color of the plastic.


Arm Unit:




I only included 1 arm on my table. I still don't have any decent cutting mat or clean board to use to show the exploded view of the parts.


The kit includes a pair of articulated manipulators if you want some posing with the fingers.
Not only that, the kit also features set of hands that you can use for the rifle and for the beam saber. This will help you handle the weapons firmly

The Arms unit/Upper Body Unit or Shoulder Unit:


The Inner frame is based from D. Momoko's Strike so this can be used for mash-up with the Strike Gundam.
Although, you might end up repainting the Strike and Akatsuki to different color to match them nicely.

Those long parts attached at the shoulder can be removed easily if you want to make it look like Strike. Articulation of the arm is nice and can bend that much (as seen on picture).

Nub marks are visible in the wrist because it didn't got the undergated treatement >__>
Anyways, no snap fitting issues. :)


Waist/Side Skirt Unit:




Adding panel lines using
metallic red
Instead of using stickers, I colored
it with red
More minor detailing here
The waist is very straight forward, simple, easy to build.
But even with these mediocre assets, the gold color and detailing makes up for its basic inner frame structure.

Man.. I really love using Uni-ball Metallic Red.
I might invest for them as an alternative for sharpie.
The pen is pigment ink and not permanent ink. You might need to do some topcoating after using this pen for panel lines. But as long as the ink can't be touched by skin, then you don't need to do some topcoating.

I used Sharpie Red (Fine Tip) on the front skirts.
I'm supposed to use Sharpie Black but the result sucked bad when I tried erasing it on a runner. It left a black stain, and the lighter fluid can't erase it. Using the nail buffer isn't part of the option because I'm sure it will just erase the gold paint on the part.

The back skirts arent separated to each other, and it's a bit loose. Not much of a big deal though.


The Side Skirts:


The round part that's supposed to hold the beam saber is a bit fragile when you tack it on the female peg. Trim the female peg a bit to avoid stress marks.

I don't like how they designed the waist unit and side skirts. It can't be moved from left to right. The articulation is limited to up, down and nothing more.



Akatsuki Gundam already done and it looks nice (only if I can hide the nubs)
Well, I did use Artline 900XF to hide the nub marks a bit >__>


Leg Unit:

I'm not sure if I have forgotten a part here


Minor coloring added
Front view. Already took me nighttime
Leg can bend this much

As I continue to try this kind of thing, showing the parts for each unit/section, I'm already wondering how many pieces will be used for Shiranui and Oowashi :v
This is a bit challenging for me and I don't have the room to sneeze or make sudden movements that can knock the table.

I was working while building so I only finished 1 leg.
Snap building is good and there are no issues whatsoever. The parts separation made by Dragon Momoko is outstanding. 

View from the side...
I forgot to mention that there's a small part behind the legs that tends to pop off. Part O-10.
I super glued it since It's not going to be visible

Articulation is good on the legs but the issues will be seen once they are put together on the waist unit.
Another issue appeared in this section. The piston part XA-30 tends to separate apart from XA10 when you bend the legs a lot. I don't know how to cure this issue but this is just a minor case as long as you don't pose/move the legs too much.


Backpack Unit:

Oowashi Flight Pack

All the parts for Oowashi
Part A
Part B

I really need to buy a cutting. But the problem is that I always gets the urge to buy a new kit instead of the tools I need. :v


The Oowashi 大鷲, or also known as "Large Bird" I think.
I copied the kanji from my note because I was designing a new set of seals/decals for him.
Fortunately, there aren't any visible nub marks for the parts here. Most of them are undergated..
Some parts were tight but not that much of a problem.

Putting those metallic red lines were quite tiring. And I'm running out of cotton buds and lighter fluid.
There were several minor issues in this section:
- wings can be removed easily when you move it up and down
- the ball jointed part that connects the beam Cannons tends to pop off when you move it, even though it's tight :/

The part on the cannon that slides out can be removed easily when you pull it.
Anyways, I plan to use Shiranui so I don't mind :P


Shiranui Pack

All parts for Shiranui
Part A
Part B

Why do I always end up with kits with lots of redundancies. It's very tiring to clean the nubs on those beam cannons. >_>


Shiranui Space Pack 不知火

Almost done with the shiranui pack. I didn't encounter any issues and the beam cannon locks neatly on the beam turrets ( Well I checked wiikia, there's 7 turrets and 7 beam cannons -1 per pod, so technically the pack are turrets :v right? xD )




Desperate times calls for desperate measures :v
I'm gonna need some back up


Completed Model:


Sorry the color of Akatsuki is different due to my cam's flash.



Plastic Quality: 8/10
No flushes, no warped parts, no uneven tones. Everything is very neatly made by Dragon Momoko. I could have given it a 9 if the gold can't be erased by nail buffers. lol
Detailing is really awesome and I love the tone compare to Bandai's version with a too shiny finish. This one is just right in my opinion.

Snap Fitting: 7.5/10
Everything was tight overall and there were few loose parts that isn't much of a big deal.

Articulation: 7.5
Very nice and I would have given it a higher rating if the side skirts can be tilted sideways to enable leg splits. Nice manipulators with few flushes were added here and it was a nice move by Dragon Momoko.

Gimmicks: 7/10
Aside from the usual cockpit, the Shiranui and Oowashi shares features to stand off against Bandai's version. It's a shame there are no plastic rods or action base that you could use for Shiranui pack's beam cannons.

Extras: 7/10
As I mentioned above, there are no launch pad/stand for Akatsuki Gundam. The model is "back-heavy" so getting a stand for it is a must. I think 2 backpack units are the best extras here and you can even attach one of them to Dragon Momoko's Strike Gundam. There are also beam effects for the rifle and beam sabers with nice detailing. Plus the extra hands for posing purposes.

Overall Rating: 8/10
Yeah, I think Dragon Momoko's Akatsuki Gundam deserve a good rating
If you want to do straight building of this kit, you will surely have a good time.

If you want to strip the gold paint and re paint it again, I think that's possible. Do not use any nail buffers or else the gold will be erased (same issue with FBM's gold plated parts). So yeah, I think the gold color can be removed if you want to paint this kit. (Strike or Strike Rouge color looks nice)

This is my 3rd update on my blog and I hope I can continue copying the ones from my facebook page. Any questions are welcome and I will try my best to answer them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment