Review 022: MG 1/100 Unicorn Gundam [Banshee] (Daban Model)




Introduction:

After finishing the Astray Blue Frame Second L, my client sent two more kits; Daban Model Unicorn Banshee and the PG Wing Gundam Zero Custom of TTH. I said yes without hesitation and I started with the WZC first. And if you noticed, I posted those two kits (ABF and WZC) some months ago. Well I had a lot of stuff to do and Dragon Momoko's PG Unicorn was a priority to be posted as quickly as possible even though I have finished reviewing this kit. Now I finally get to review the Unicorn Banshee or called as “Dabanshee” by many. I had a lot of bad experiences with the two Unicorns from TT Hongli, so I am looking forward here in Daban Model. Some of them said there were several issues in this kit and some said it was more like a “closer” step to Bandai.

I haven’t put into thought of getting one for myself as I have a lot of kits to get in my wishlist before the end of 2016. I managed to get 3 of them (Freedom 2.0, Build Strike and the Universe Booster) which I will share here in my blog. I want to get a few Iron Blooded Orphan 1/100 FM kits for 2017 IF POSSIBLE. Probably the Barbatos First Form, the Barbatos Lupus, and the Gusion Rebake.

Please keep note that I am not a professional builder. I am doing this because it makes me happy. Yes I love what I do even though I have a lot of mistakes. I would like to apologize that there will be visible nub marks on the featured kit. If there are any errors (spelling, grammar), please do mention them on the comments section. If there are also any errors on the terminologies used, please do correct me.



Unboxing:


When I carried both the PG WZC and this kit in one plastic bag, I didn’t know how heavy each of the kit was. When I tried lifting the box of Dabanshee up, it has some weight and that’s because there was another brown box inside it. The front of the box is your usual box art and you get to see the Unicorn Banshee in the rear. It features the completed model in Destroy and Unicorn modes. And yeah, sorry for the blurry images. My hands were shaking and I'm using my old broken camera during this time.


After opening it, I checked the runners quickly and saw several pieces already removed probably from shipping or during the time the runners were being packed. One of the parts (psyco frame parts) had a broken portion. Fortunately, it won’t be an issue when I reviewed the manual where it’s supposed to go.

I also saw that the parts have thinner gates connecting them which is good news to me. Or maybe I was just been working too much at the PG WZC for a long time to have such a thought.


The manual shows several parts crossed out because of the Armed Armor VN and Armed Armor BS weapons. But I will feature the normal arms here for the articulation segment.

So there are 21 Sprues here and the first thing I’ve noticed is the runners for the leg’s inner frame. It will be using the same clear orange parts like the psyco frame. I’m trying to imagine what if the Unicorn would look like having several clear red inner frame parts. I don’t know what the reason is but it could’ve been cool if they made that way.

So the next images will be the runners and contents of the kit.



Sprues:


Sprue A (x1)
Sprue B (x1)
Sprue C (x1)
Sprue D (x1)
Sprue E (x2)
Sprue F (x2)
Sprue G (x1)
Sprue H (x1)
Sprue I (x1)
Sprue J (x1)
Sprue K (x1)
Sprue L (x1)
Sprue M (x1)
Sprue P (x1)
Sprue BA (x1)
Sprue BB (x1)
Sprue BC (x1)
Sprue BD (x1)
Sprue SB1

One of the sprues, the Sprue SB1, is tangled in one of the other runners inside the plastic bag. If you noticed, these are the beam saber effects and the other beam effect has now a curvy design. What’s worse is that it can no longer be returned to its straight form.

As I said earlier, some of the orange clear parts were removed from the runners, probably during shipping from the factory.


You will receive the common set of clear stickers, foil stickers, and the dry transfer decals. I won’t be using any of the clear and foil stickers for this kit.



Body Unit:


So here are your parts for the body unit. I still remember a few of these parts when I built the Unicorn Gundam of TTH. Here, you get another extra yellow piece for the chest.


I am quite amazed that there were no major issues here in the body unit. Everything fits nicely and there were no flashes on the parts.


You can pull out the peg to a small degree that gives you an extra range in the arm’s movement.


As for Destroy Mode, a few tight parts will greet you but everything is okay. I had no problem switching it back to Unicorn Mode. Snap fitting is great because the parts stay as it is and doesn't pop off during transformation.



Head Unit:


I still remember the frustrating transformation here in the head during the time I was building the FAU. But here in Daban’s Unicorn Banshee, it felt like a little closer to Bandai. There were no snap fitting issues.


The two tips of the V-fin however is slightly separated  from each other. But you can use the other fin if you just want the Unicorn Mode. 


When you transform it to Destroy mode, the H3 part will be the one that will slide most of the head parts. It’s a bit tight but if you can glue the BA-22 to this H3 part, then you won’t be having troubles during transformation. It tends to pop off [BA-22] when you try to slide it back and forth. Anyways, it wasn’t a big deal so transformation can be said as “smooth”.

I almost forgot to mention that I used the uniball signo metallic red. It’s not that visible though but it was a better choice than using the crappy foil stickers for the eye sensors.

A little coffee break while cleaning the pieces for the arm...




Arm Unit:


If some of you have noticed, I am now building 1 part ready for the arms and legs. This is to reduce the time I need when cleaning the nubs. Of course I will fully clean the first part, and then move the arm or leg to see if there are parts that doesn’t need to be sanded. It was better than laying all the parts on the table and I also get to reduce the space consumption when taking pictures as well.


Anyways, so that’s all your parts for the arms and I have included the parts crossed-out in the manual (E4+E2/E3+E1). These parts [E4+E2 and E3+E1] are already attached on the Armed Armor BS and Armed Armor VN.


Here are the finished arms and I used the crossed out parts to make it look like the usual Unicorn Arm. I will attach the weapons later. As for articulation or range of movement, the design is hindering the arms to be bent even further.


The range of movement It can do in Destroy Mode didn’t changed much. Although you can lift those fin-like parts, the E1 and E2 parts, to show more of the psyco frame inside.



Shoulder Armor/Upper Body Unit:


The amount of parts here is above average considering it needs a few parts for the psyco frame and transformation gimmick.


It was a bit plain so I added a gold line using my uniball signo pen. I may have sanded too much of surface so it now has a rounded or curvy edge. To compensate for this change, I also sanded the parts with no nubs just to get the same design.


There are no snap fitting issues here. And the transformation doesn’t surprise you with any parts that will pop off. :)



Waist Unit:


So here are your parts for the waist unit. Instead of using the grey inner frame for the back and side skirts, this kit replaced them with the clear orange parts. I was a bit disappointed why Bandai didn’t make this kind of design having more psyco frame parts to replace the gray ones.


So here’s the finished product of the waist and I would like to apologize about the lighting. The range of movement has 2 sets of hindrances.


First, is that you can fully lift up the side skirts if the back skirt isn’t lifted. Second, now if you lift the back skirts all the way up, the side skirts are now having the problems of getting the good range.



When you transform it to Destroy Mode, the articulation is just the same as the Unicorn Mode. Good thing that there are no issues during transformation.



Leg Unit:


Sorry I don’t have the finished leg near the exploded parts view. Anyways, these are the parts for your leg. This one here is for the left side.


I trimmed this L11 part a bit because it was really hard pushing it on the clamp. This part will move a bit each time you transform the feet to Destroy Mode. You don’t need to do the same thing as long as you can snap it on the part carefully. I just had several issues back on my TT Hongli unicorn so I had to do this.There were no side effects on the transformation gimmick after the trimming. 


Anyways, here are finished legs and I separated the two – one in Destroy Mode and one in its Unicorn Mode. You will notice as a start that the height is changed dramatically once transformed into Destroy mode.


Movement range isn’t that good for both modes and you can see that they can’t even reach the 90-degree angle.

But on the bright side, there are no snap fitting issues. As long as you place the parts correctly, there won’t be any broken pegs here. Transformation from Destroy to Unicorn or vice versa was also smooth and I didn’t encounter any issues. It was really great. :)


I'm almost done :)





Backpack Unit:


There weren’t many parts here for the backpack, but the color combination of the black and orange from the psyco frame makes up for it.


There are no snap fitting issues here and all parts fits just fine. The psyco frame parts were really sturdy that the ball-joint peg didn’t show any stress marks when I punched the thrusters. The backpack unit looks really simple in its Unicorn Mode look.


Once you put it in Destroy Mode, the psyco frame part inside will be revealed. Two more thrusters can be pulled outward from the sides and a small part on top can be pulled up to show more of those psyco frame parts. When you transform it to Destroy Mode, always take caution when lifting the beam saber connectors. It felt like it can snap so easily if moved with too much force or without support from one of your fingers. Other than that, there are no issues here.



Extras:

There are no actual extra parts here aside from the pieces for arms and this single shield. :/

Shield:


The runners include parts to build the shield but the manual doesn’t have any instructions how to build it. Well the Unicorn Banshee wasn’t meant to hold a shield anyway, but I did assemble it thinking it might look good if it’s attached on the back. I used the manual of my TTH Unicorn to make sure I don’t miss something.


For some odd reason, I can’t seem to hide the fin-like psyco frame parts. There’s a portion from these fins that hits the middle part.

As for the other weapons like the Armed Armor VN and BS, I didn't took any pictures for them separately. But I assure you it was a smooth build and there were no snap fitting issues. :)



Decals:


The quality of the dry transfer decals was great. They markings sticks fast on the surface so you won’t be rubbing too much. In fact, I didn’t use any adhesive tapes to hold each marking down. I simply placed the cut marking, and then rubbed it gently.


I have used a few markings or seals and added them on some parts that looked plain for my taste.



Completed Model:


So here’s the Unicorn Banshee in its Unicorn Mode and I will show the Destroy Mode later.


As you may have seen earlier, the unicorn doesn’t have much good range in terms of movement or both arms and legs. But the good part is that the kit has the range to perform a split.


And now here’s the Unicorn Banshee with the weapons Armed Armor VN and Armed Armor BS.


I will be delivering the kit in Destroy Mode so this will be the last time I will transform all the parts. The height was increased and you see now the clear orange psyco frame parts.





Due to bad lighting, I only have few pictures and I apologize for that. I also used the camera’s flash but it changed the color of the parts especially the psyco frame parts. As you can see, the psyco frame doesn’t look like a clear orange but more of a gold yellow tone same with the v-fin. :/



So these are my ratings…

Design was inpsired from GDC cards

Plastic Quality: 8/10
It seems Daban Model has improved on their plastic quality and I like the texture and same glossy finish of their kit. If built and cleaned carefully, the Unicorn Banshee of Daban looks nice. Of course, even if you sand some the parts, there is still a noticeable darker portion where the gate was connected.  I would like to add another factor that I was also using an old x-acto blade (half rusty). I can still the cut the nubs easily. Back then, when I tried to cut them the nubs little by little, it has a rough feeling and the stress marks appear quickly.

The psyco frame parts weren’t as bright as I expected, so Bandai still has the lead here. But on the bright side, if you sand them well, you won’t see any nub marks at all.

Assembly: 8/10
This is the first time I have built a kit from Daban without any big or major issues. I really had fun building it. Of course, I mentioned some minor issues but these can be covered quickly by good building skills.


Detailing: 6/10
I think, just my personal opinion, that Bandai loves the Banshee too much that the other Unicorn [white] doesn’t have any Psyco Frame parts as replacement for the gray inner frame ones. I don’t have information if this was actually seen in ova. Anyways, because of this engineering and planning of Bandai, the Banshee looks great with more of those clear orange parts inside.

As for Daban Model’s side, the panel lines weren’t that deep or visible. The engraved and embossed details on psyco frame parts weren’t as good as it should be. Maybe I am being strict again, but I wanted Daban to move higher. If they managed to improve their plastic quality, then getting crisp or sharp detailing wouldn’t be so hard.


Articulation: 6/10
It can’t be helped if the Unicorn Banshee’s movement is limited. The design and the transformation gimmick were put into priority rather than focusing on extreme movements you can do. If you have an action base/stand, the lack of movement range can be hidden by its simple action poses. The Unicorn Banshee would look cool on a stand. This is just my personal view. :)

Gimmicks: 8/10
The transformation for the Unicorn Banshee isn’t hard and troublesome as TTH. I mean, TT Hongli doesn’t have a Banshee, but Daban’s was way better. It was really fun than my TTH Unicorn and TTH FAU. I didn’t have any trouble moving the parts. This was supposed to be a nine but I had received some info from other builders they had trouble with the transformation on the abdomen area. I can overlook this issue but there were more than one case. So yeah, please take note of the abdomen section, because it was mentioned that the clamp gets stress marks easily and tends to become loose.

Weapons: 8/10
Unlike the white Unicorn Gundam, the Banshee boasts in new weapons. The Armed Armor VN and BS look really cool. Both of these weapons have their own mini transformation gimmick as well. I’m supposed to give it a 7 because of the beam saber issue. I can’t remember but it seems you can’t flip the extra beam sabers on the arms forward.

The reason why the rating is still an 8 is because of the shield. The Unicorn Banshee doesn’t have the shield but you can build one using a construction manual for the white Unicorn Gundam. Then attach this shield on its back.

Extras : 6/10
Yeah, the shield was one of the extras here. A lot of them were the gray parts for the inner frame, and some parts meant for the white Unicorn. There are two options for the v-fin. You can use the one that folds back to Unicorn mode, or use the one for the permanent destroy mode. If there was a base stand/action base, I would raise my rating to 7.

Patience: 5/10
There were no bad issues here that will consume a lot of your time. Progressive sanding process isn’t that time-consuming either because most of the parts have small gates thus leads to smaller nubs you need to clean. It was fun to build and you can finish the kit quickly if you will not sand the inner frame parts that are not visible.

Overall Rating: 8/10
It’s been a while since I built a bootleg kit that doesn’t trouble you with lots of issues. The last bootleg I encountered with no issue was the Xi Gundoom [Gundam] of Model Comprehend brand. I will not restrict you guys on what brand you should get. Either Bandai or Daban Model is good. I have no complaints here for Daban Model’s Banshee, but if you still doubt the quality of this kit then go for Bandai.

The quality of the plastic is good, so using them as replacement part doesn’t seem to be a problem. I am still disappointed they [Bandai] only pick certain kits to have a pedestal/action base. If could have been nice too if Bandai included a gold dry transfer instead of white. Well, that issue can be treated by purchasing waterslide decals from Bandai or any 3rd-party custom decals from other sellers.

The kit is really nice that this is recommendable for beginners or just starting in the Master Grade line. Those who just want to do a straight-build can pick this kit as well.

So that’s about it for my short review here in Daban Model’s Unicorn Banshee. I hope this can help you decide if you are planning to get one, or just not sure whether to start building the kit because of the hidden issues.

I will be posting another review and this one would be a perfect grade kit. If my client will ask me to build the PG Unicorn of Dragon Momoko earlier, then the next article will be the PG Strike Freedom.
It’s possible I will post the PG Unicorn of Dragon Momoko ahead of schedule. So by the time I post the PG Uni, the last sentence won’t matter. Lol XD



And do check our Gunpla-related Facebook page - Click Here 




No comments:

Post a Comment