Review 013: HG 1/144 Try Burning Gundam (Hobby Star)




I don’t really intend to create a review for this kit even though it has been a bit popular among BL consumers/builders. I am only creating reviews for MG and PG. But since it was suggested by my client why not create a short review about it; I decided to take another leap in this extra hobby of mine. My focus was to help others get some insight if they don’t have any information regarding a certain kit and he is right to take the liberty of sharing the issues one could encounter. I don’t have the budget to support this new hobby (writing reviews), but at least my few articles might help some friends and colleagues.


 Anyways, here’s my short review for Hobby Star’s Try Burning Gangdum (HG 1/144). The name is a bit hilarious changing the word Gundam to Gangdum. Of course, it was needed to avoid certain issues with the usage of the word "Gundam". This reminds me of Model Comprehend’s “Gundoom” which is somewhat cooler when pronounced.

This kit isn’t mine and I was just hired to build it for my client. I would like to apologize that there will be visible nub marks on the featured kit. I haven’t applied or learned progressive sanding during this period.  If there are any errors (spelling, grammar), please do mention them on the comments section. If there are also any errors on the terminologies used, please do correct me. Some images were blurry because I can’t find a good angle and/or lighting, when taking the shots.


Unboxing:




The box shows 2 different arts/images of TBG and it has the same structure that of Dragon Momoko’s. It is wider compare to other HG 1/144s I’ve encountered before (except Xi Gundoom). When you open up the box, another brown box can be pulled out containing the runners. The kit includes your usual foil sticker and a glossy manual with same features of Dragon Momoko kits.


It was a nice move for Hobby Star to cover the yellow runner (Runner E). This runner has the ever fragile V-Fin. The manual shows the TBG’s front view on the first page and the rear view on the last. 


When you check some pages in the construction manual, you will see some of the gimmicks and features of the model.


Runners:


These are the runners inside that big box, 22 in total. No wonder it was bigger than the other HG 1/144; extra runners were included in the kit. As you can see, there were violet runners that you can use. This is the same color for Denial Gundam’s effects. It’s a good option if you plan on painting TBG to Denial Gundam Colors.


The runners have glitters though and I’m not sure if it’s a bad or not.
Another bonus is that Hobby Star throws in an action base/stand for this kit. I’m not sure if Bandai’s TBG has one.
Plastic quality is glossy and there were no warped or missing parts. Every part is really smooth and there weren’t any scratches.

UPDATE(2017-02-19): It was mentioned by other co-builders that these extra or optional violet runners are “first batch” items. That means the new batch now [TBG] doesn’t have these extra runners anymore. It was kind of unfortunate because a lot of builders were looking forward to get them. :/


Body Unit:


Nice parts separation here and credits goes to Bandai for this one. The left and right sides of the body are a bit loose. It’s not much of a big deal though. No other snap fitting issues on the rest of the parts and everything fits just fine. I added some minor detailing on the chest with Uniball Signo angelic blue.



Head Unit:


The head unit is very straight forward with no other gimmicks. I colored the eyes with Uniball Signo Angelic blue. I don’t feel like using the foil stickers.
I also colored the eye lens with metallic blue but it’s not that visible and I should have resorted with the angelic blue. Unfortunately, I can’t disassemble the head parts. >_>
The V-Fin is not that loose but there are some occasions it pops off when you move the head. I decided to stick it permanently since I don’t want my client having problems with a missing V-Fin.


Also, please do take note that the v-fin is quite pointy and thin. A friend told me that the Bandai version doesn’t have the same design. Take extra care on this part.


Backpack Unit:


There isn’t much to say about the backpack. It’s very straightforward and easy to build. No negative issues to point out too.



Shoulder Armor/Upper Body Unit:


They have a very simple design but with good parts separation. The shoulder armor have ball joints already connected on the sides and I’m wondering how good the articulation will be.


No snap fitting issues and the parts can be removed easily when you want to replace it with the flame effect parts.


Arm Unit:


Good parts separation again added here in the arms and credit goes to Bandai.


Articulation is very nice and can be bent that much (shown on picture).
No snap fitting issues either and there were no warped or cracked parts.


Leg Unit:


The leg part features good parts separation too. I didn’t encounter any bad issues here and everything fits just fine.


Articulation is nice in my opinion. Although, I am already having thoughts that it will be reduced once the flame effects are put on.


Waist Unit:


I also included the parts for the abdomen. Another straightforward section but with nice design and parts separation included on this part.


I split the front skirts in two without my client’s consent. And it was a risky move if I didn’t knew the design. I looked at the waist’s inner frame and there’s a socket to lock the ball joints of the front skirts, thus giving me the assurance it won’t fall off. The result was satisfactory and I extended the range of articulation for the front skirts.


The back skirt is a bit loose and tends to pop off during posing. You might want to add some glue here.




Action Base/Stand:


No other issues here during assembly. I will use this later once the kit is finished.




Completed Model:


So here a few more pictures.


The kit looks really cool and it could have been nice if Bandai released 1 for the Master Grade line. Well, all I know is they pick it via a survey or poll of some sort which MS model should be put on HG, MG, and PG. They will have to think carefully if the chosen MS enters a slot in MG and PG. Engineering and design on the inner frame may look easy but it seems to me that it takes a lot of hard work before it is finished.


Anyways, due to several hindrances from the design, the articulation was a bit reduced specially on the legs. Even though the pegs that connect the legs can be tilted sideways, the range of articulation this kit can do is limited because of the long side skirts. As you can see (shown on picture), I moved the side skirts but that’s far I can go.
I do not own this so I will not risk the kit’s natural feature farther than it should be. I don’t want to break any parts. :/



Now adding the flame effects for TBG. The design and color looks nice for me, and there were no snap fitting issues.


The articulation on the other side is reduced even more because of the spiky design. Not a big deal for me though and I my client won’t be using the flame effects either. :P


But if I were to get either a Bandai or this Hobby Star, I will use the flame effects. :)
I'm sure I turned the flash on, and I don't know why the image became like this. It looked good though on my side.



As for my comments regarding the kit..

Plastic Quality: 8/10
Molding is good, plastic is glossy, and no flashes/excess plastic on the edges. The nub marks weren’t that much of a problem (or I guess the gates were just smaller due to the scale >_> ) . I didn’t encounter any big issues here.

Snap Fitting: 8/10
Some parts were a bit tight and some were loose (v-fin, back pack, and back skirt parts), but everything fits nicely.

Articulation: 8.5/10
If you are not using the flame effects included in the kit, then you will be using a wider range of articulation for posing. But if you want to use the flame effects, it’s okay but there are limits to the model’s movements. I would have given it a 9 if the legs can do a split. I may be expecting much for a 1/144 though. :P

Gimmicks: 7/10
I’m not sure if there are other gimmicks aside from the flame effects that can you attach and remove anytime you want. Still, the flame effects were cool so I’m giving it a decent rating.

Extras: 7/10
Extra violet runners plus a free action base stand was the best pointers for this kit.

Overall Rating: 8/10
I love the kit’s features, gimmicks, plastic quality and freebies. It’s a shame I don’t collect HG 1/144 anymore.  But it was fun building it and gave me several flashbacks when I was still starting in this hobby. I bought a Throne Drei as my starter kit back 2014.

This is a good kit with very few issues. But if you want to go for Bandai, then do so for better plastic quality. (I’m not sure if there are issues on Bandai’s side)

I might start including other grades/scales now that I’ve opened more options to keep my blog and this page updated.


Also, have a look on our Gunpla-related Facebook page - Click Here 

5 comments:

  1. You forgot about the phoenix which is included on the kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was included in the kit but I didn't add any images for it :v
      Just a bit lazy...

      Delete
  2. sir mad sakto lang ba yung scale ng model na yan?? oh medyo mataas tulad ng MC model??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Di ko na maalala pero alam ko normal pa rin naman size nya sa 1/144 scale. Parang wala naman na modify sa height niya.

      Delete
  3. sayang ganda pa naman nyan kaso walang MG nyan eh..

    ReplyDelete